Fantasy Impact: The St. Louis Blues have acquired goalie Anders Nilsson from the Edmonton Oilers for goaltending prospect Niklas Lundstrom and a fifth-round draft pick in 2016 (updated).
The Blues get: A short-term backup goalie to Jake Allen until Brian Elliott returns from injury. Playing for a defensively challenged Oilers squad, Nilsson is near the bottom of the league in both goals-against average (3.14) and save percentage (.901). Once Elliott returns from his lower-body injury (which will be in another month at the earliest), Nilsson will likely be sent to the minors.
Fantasy Players Impacted: Don’t expect Nilsson to play a whole lot in St. Louis unless Allen gets injured. Allen was going to start almost every game after Elliott’s injury anyway, so that shouldn’t change. Laurent Brossoit, who has played just one game this season and two games in his career, should take over as the backup goalie in Edmonton with Nilsson’s departure.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
Pheonix Copley (Blues’ backup goalie after the Elliott injury)
Jordan Binnington (Blues' backup goalie while Allen was injured)
Fantasy owners are discussing this signing now – give your take right here!
- Ramblings: Converted Touchdowns for Stars and Islanders, an Avalanche of Wins (Jan 21)
- Ramblings: Provo-GOAT; Horvat Returns; Vegas Is Tops; Schwartz/Anisimov - January 22
- The Journey: Fastest-Rising Prospect Defencemen
- Top 100 Keeper League Goaltenders - January 2018
- Fantasy Top-10: Underrated Fantasy All-Stars
- Geek of the Week: Nazem Kadri Failing To Replicate Last Season's Success
- Saturday NHL Game Picks - January 20
- Keeping Karlsson no. 173 - Bernier for Everything