Fantasy Impact: The Anaheim Ducks signed forward Mike Santorelli to a cap-friendly one-year contract worth $875,000.
The Ducks get: a hardworking, versatile and underrated forward. Santorelli is perfect for a contending team in that he can come in as a replacement on the second power play or on the second penalty kill. He can also take faceoffs when needed, though is primarily a winger. They basically signed a player who can sub in for a half dozen games at any role, be it first-line winger or fourth-line center.
Fantasy Players Impacted: Santorelli is at his best in terms of fantasy hockey when he is counted on by his team. This was not the case in Nashville, but it was the case in Toronto and before that in Vancouver. His later years with Florida also found him on the sidelines not really needed. And with Anaheim, that's the kind of scenario you'll see here. Barring an injury to somebody key, like a Chris Stewart or Jakob Silfverberg, Santorelli will be in and out of the press box and chipping in when he can. Probably something in the neighborhood of 30 points in 65 games.
The 30-year-old is probably not a threat to steal any veteran jobs away. This move does give the Ducks time to develop their talent, so their prospects most certainly won't be rushed. So while this was a good signing for Anaheim, there were certainly better fits out there for Santorelli (such as Carolina) where he would be needed. But judging by the dollar figure we're seeing here, I'm guessing there weren't a lot of suitors for his services.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
2. Nick Ritchie
Related articles across the web
- Ramblings: Toews, Triplets, hot lines, and Auston vs. Laine II (Feb 22)
- Ramblings: The Panthers' Power Play Woes (Feb 23)
- NHL Line Combos - Kings and Panthers flying; Leafs' new line sizzles
- NHL Injuries: Latest on Marner, Stamkos, Quick, Stone, E.J. and others
- Cage Match: The better fantasy own - Max Pacioretty or Taylor Hall?
- Capped: Defensemen to Buy At Your Trade Deadline
- Fantasy Impact: The Penguins Acquire Ron Hainsey
- Fantasy Hockey Podcast: Bo-lieve!