The Calgary Flames have signed defenseman Jay Bouwmeester to a five-year deal worth $33 million.
The cap his is actually $100K higher than Dion Phaneuf's. Combined, the two rearguards hit the cap at $13.1 million per season. When you consider that Chris Pronger and Scott Niedermayer hit Anaheim's cap at $13 million - but were a good seven or eight years older than these two - that's not half bad.
Fantasy Players Impacted: Phaneuf and J-Bo should feed off each other. Look for career seasons from both of them. Their presense will also help the top power play, which will include Jarome Iginla, Olli Jokinen and Player X. Whoever Player X is will see a nice boost as well.
The player most impacted, though, is not a skater. Miikka Kiprusoff should see a very nice boost in all of his numbers. How safe does he feel now? Especially if those two studs play on different even-strength shifts...
- Ramblings: Chris Kreider and Kevin Hayes re-sign, Evander Kane and a look at prime years (July 23)
- Top 10 Players Sure to Disappoint
- Ramblings: Top 10 Remaining UFA's and more (July 25)
- Ramblings: Schenn Signing, More Fantasy Hockey Questions
- The Journey – Top 50 Prospect Defensemen – New Additions (July 2016)
- The Contrarian - Entering the Pool
- Best in the West (2016)
- Ramblings: Ryan Johansen, Brayden Schenn, Dan Hamhuis and more (July 26)