The Los Angeles Kings sign defenseman Christian Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million contract.
The Kings get: Christian Ehrhoff, a former 50-point defenseman who has been a power-play specialist in the past. Ehrhoff’s career took a nosedive when he signed a 10-year, $40 million deal with the Sabres in 2011. Bought out three seasons later, Ehrhoff was hoping that signing a one-year contract with the Penguins last summer would jumpstart him to a larger contract this summer. Unfortunately, with just 14 points and a meagre two power-play points in 49 games in Pittsburgh, Ehrhoff had to wait nearly two months after the start of free agency before landing another contract, and it was another one-year deal.
Fantasy Players Impacted: Given his production last season, Ehrhoff seems to be a likely second-pairing defenseman with Alec Martinez, also with possible second-unit power play time. Although Slava Voynov could return to the Kings once he serves his 90-day jail sentence, this signing could mean that his ship has sailed in LA. Could Voynov’s future be in the KHL?
Fantasy Players this helps: Drew Doughty’s situation remains untouchable with this signing. Jake Muzzin’s even-strength and power-play icetime should also remain unchanged with this signing. Ehrhoff simply gives the Kings a secondary power-play option and possibly more if he can reverse his declining returns.
Fantasy Players this hurts: Voynov, as mentioned earlier, although his fate may have been sealed prior to this signing anyway. Depth defensemen such as Martinez and Brayden McNabb might also be pushed down the pecking order.
Fantasy owners are discussing this signing now – give your take right here!
- Ramblings: Lightning and Senators Strike, Another Vegas Goalie Down (Oct 22)
- Ramblings: Vancouver Rolls; Malcolm Subban Injured; Early-Season Stats - October 23
- Fantasy Hockey Top-10: Early-Season Struggles
- Ramblings: Sharks and Leafs Win; Injured Ducks; Lineup Notes - October 24
- Geek of the Week: Brent Burns
- Wild West: Tortoises and Hares
- Saturday Night Special; Daily Fantasy Picks - October 21
- Keeping Karlsson no. 161 - Safety Dansk