Fantasy Impact: The Toronto Maple Leafs have acquired center Dave Bolland from the Chicago Blackhawks for second and fourth-round draft picks in 2013 and a fourth rounder in 2014.
The Maple Leafs get: a third-line center who should be a second-line center, however injuries have added up over the years and I question whether he could reach that upside now. Bolland is frequently on the IR, but the name of his game is the postseason. In the playoffs his game reached another level. A proven winner. And if he stays healthy during the regular season, well that's a pretty good bonus.
The Blackhawks get: Three draft picks, including a pretty good one in what is a deep draft. They used the No.51 pick to select Carl Dahlstrom. But more importantly, the move allowed the team to sign Bryan Bickell.
Fantasy Players Impacted: I don't see Bolland fitting in on this team as is. And so, something else is on the way. No way the Leafs roll with centers Mikhail Grabovski, Nazem Kadri and Dave Bolland. Will Grabovski be on the move? This should spell the end for Tyler Bozak, who will become an unrestricted free agent.
I really like this deal from the perspective of Brandon Pirri. He's been ready for a year now, and we should see him as the third-line center now. With a good first full season, he could develop into a top sixer. There are other good prospects who will also get considered, such as Teuvo Teravainen - it certainly doesn't hurt those guys.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
1. Bozak - if he's on the way out, he just lost himself a pretty sweet gig.
- Ramblings: Goaltending Duo in Florida, Gibson's Value, Coyotes/Panthers Trade (August 26)
- Frozen Pool Forensics: Expected Regressions, Part One
- Ramblings: Brady Skjei, Plus/Minus talk and some players of interest (Aug. 27)
- Ramblings: Steen update, Yahoo fantasy hockey (Aug. 28)
- Dobber's Offseason Fantasy Grades: Nashville Predators
- The Journey – Fastest Rising Prospects – All Positions (August 2016)
- Latest NHL Moves: Rangers Sign Forward Brandon Pirri
- The Contrarian - Optics of it All