Fantasy Impact: The Winnipeg Jets have signed center Mathieu Perreault to a three-year deal worth $9 million.
The Jets get: a center who is underrated offensively, but at worst is a very solid third-line center. The thinking here is that Perreault can center a scoring line and surprise you with the results. The knock on him has been size and consistency. But time and opportunity (and patience) will take care of the latter.
Fantasy Players Impacted: What a great fit for Perreault. He will bounce between the second and third lines, even the first line - with Mark Scheifele and Bryan Little. The top nine in Winnipeg will be interchanged a lot and there will be plenty of opportunity for Perreault to improve upon his solid point total of 2013-14. With that kind of cap hit, there is no danger of losing ice time or getting benched, and he'll see more PP time than he's ever seen with Washington or Anaheim.
His PP time may cannibalize Scheifele's a little - but not too much. And Winnipeg's depth scoring wingers, such as Michal Frolik, stand to benefit from the upgrade from Olli Jokinen (who is now a free agent). Keep in mind, Frolik does play with Scheifele, but the nine forwards will be mixed and matched a lot until a fit is found. Perreault likely won't see much time with Blake Wheeler or Evander Kane, but anything goes otherwise.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
2. Frolik/Andrew Ladd/Dustin Byfuglien
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
- Ramblings: Flyers, Senators Offensive Explosions (Oct 15)
- Ramblings: Sunday Night Hockey Was Definitely A Thing That Happened - October 16
- Fantasy Top-10: Emerging Power-Play Trends
- The Journey: Top Forward Prospects - October
- Wild West: Early Notable Line Production
- Geek of the Week: Goals Aren't Everything
- Ramblings: Lineup and Injury Updates, Kucherov Keeps Rolling - October 17
- Keeping Karlsson no. 160 - Andrighetto Superstar