Fantasy Impact: The San Jose Sharks have signed Antti Niemi to a one-year deal worth a reported $2 million.
The Sharks Get: a solid goaltender capable of being a No.1. The problem is - they already have one of those. This should be interesting.
Fantasy Players Impacted: Niemi just went from KHL fodder to joining one of the best teams in the league. However, he is back in a 1A/1B situation and that is death in fantasy leagues. Antero Niittymaki enjoyed his last two months, going from a goaltender who would be ranked 25th (give or take) in fantasy drafts amongst goalies, to a goaltender ranked in the top five or six... and now back to 20th (give or take). Again, the 1A/1B situation. At this point, I wouldn't be shocked to see each of them get in 42 to 45 games - no more, no less. Backup Thomas Griess just went from a situation in which he was a Niittymaki injury away from showcasing his true talent...to packing his bags. I can't see the Sharks going with three goalies, so he'll be waived, or traded, or released to a European team.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
1. Antti Niemi
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
1. Antero Niittymaki
2. Thomas Greiss
- Ramblings: Reimer, Jokinen, Trouba, Vrbata and more (Feb. 21)
- Ramblings: Toews, Triplets, hot lines, and Auston vs. Laine II (Feb 22)
- East Trade Deadline Preview Part 1
- NHL Line Combos - Kings and Panthers flying; Leafs' new line sizzles
- NHL Injuries: Latest on Marner, Stamkos, Quick, Stone, E.J. and others
- Cage Match: The better fantasy own - Max Pacioretty or Taylor Hall?
- Fantasy Hockey Podcast: Bo-lieve!
- Ramblings: The Panthers' Power Play Woes (Feb 23)