Fantasy Impact: The San Jose Sharks have signed Antti Niemi to a one-year deal worth a reported $2 million.
The Sharks Get: a solid goaltender capable of being a No.1. The problem is - they already have one of those. This should be interesting.
Fantasy Players Impacted: Niemi just went from KHL fodder to joining one of the best teams in the league. However, he is back in a 1A/1B situation and that is death in fantasy leagues. Antero Niittymaki enjoyed his last two months, going from a goaltender who would be ranked 25th (give or take) in fantasy drafts amongst goalies, to a goaltender ranked in the top five or six... and now back to 20th (give or take). Again, the 1A/1B situation. At this point, I wouldn't be shocked to see each of them get in 42 to 45 games - no more, no less. Backup Thomas Griess just went from a situation in which he was a Niittymaki injury away from showcasing his true talent...to packing his bags. I can't see the Sharks going with three goalies, so he'll be waived, or traded, or released to a European team.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
1. Antti Niemi
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
1. Antero Niittymaki
2. Thomas Greiss
- Ramblings: McDavid bags Leafs, Eaves Hat-trick, Tavares Streaking (Feb. 12)
- Top 200 Prospect Forwards in Fantasy Hockey - February 2016
- Top 50 Prospect Defensemen in Fantasy Hockey - February 2016
- Ramblings: Schwartz Returns, Hellebuyck Demoted, Price Out for the Season? (Feb. 13)
- Looking Ahead: Week 20 (2015-16)
- Frozen Pool Forensics: Vincent Trocheck
- Saturday NHL Picks: February 13, 2016
- Cheap Players for Daily Fantasy Hockey: February 12, 2016