Fantasy Impact: The San Jose Sharks have signed Antti Niemi to a one-year deal worth a reported $2 million.
The Sharks Get: a solid goaltender capable of being a No.1. The problem is - they already have one of those. This should be interesting.
Fantasy Players Impacted: Niemi just went from KHL fodder to joining one of the best teams in the league. However, he is back in a 1A/1B situation and that is death in fantasy leagues. Antero Niittymaki enjoyed his last two months, going from a goaltender who would be ranked 25th (give or take) in fantasy drafts amongst goalies, to a goaltender ranked in the top five or six... and now back to 20th (give or take). Again, the 1A/1B situation. At this point, I wouldn't be shocked to see each of them get in 42 to 45 games - no more, no less. Backup Thomas Griess just went from a situation in which he was a Niittymaki injury away from showcasing his true talent...to packing his bags. I can't see the Sharks going with three goalies, so he'll be waived, or traded, or released to a European team.
Fantasy Players this helps, in order:
1. Antti Niemi
Fantasy Players this hurts, in order:
1. Antero Niittymaki
2. Thomas Greiss
- The Journey - Fastest-Rising Prospect Defencemen
- Ramblings: Penguins, Pouliot, Pulock (May 22)
- Ramblings: Predators Close In on Final, Playoff Surprise Players (May 21)
- Top 10 Worst Peripheral Forwards
- Ramblings: Preds Punch Ticket and a grab bag of player outlooks (May 23)
- 2017 Off-season Outlook: Los Angeles and Winnipeg
- Broad Street Bullies hoping to Fly
- Fantasy Hockey Podcast: Sens a Snore?