The fantasy impact of the Rangers signing Lee Stempniak
Fantasy Impact: The New York Rangers have reportedly signed forward Lee Stempniak to a one-year deal worth $900,000, according to Larry Brooks of the New York Post.
The Rangers get: An experienced forward that will add some depth to a unit that certainly needs it. Stempniak once scored 27 goals in a season for the St. Louis Blues, but that was a lifetime ago. He hasn’t notched more than 19 goals in a campaign since.
It would have been interesting to see what he could have done on a longer stay in Pittsburgh playing with potentially Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin, but it turned out to be just 21 games.
Fantasy players impacted:
Stempniak figures to be slated in the bottom six and taking a look at New York’s forward group right now, they desperately needed help with Brian Boyle and Benoit Pouliot leaving. With Nash, St. Louis, Stepan, Hagelin, Brassard, and Kreider all likely to be on the first two lines, it’s going to be tough for Stempniak to supplant one of them.
This will at least give Mats Zuccarello a winger with some offensive ability to go along with maybe Matthew Lombardi, or whoever the Rangers decide to stick on that third group.
J.T. Miller was a guy I thought had a real chance to step up this year, but that will be more of a challenge now with Stempniak. It also probably means Tanner Glass is destined for the fourth line now.
Fantasy players this helps, in order:
Fantasy players this hurts, in order:
- Ramblings: Playoff Recap, Reinhart, Kucherov, Eulogies - April 27
- Ramblings: Playoff Recap, Scott Darling, Max Pacioretty, and More (April 29)
- Ramblings: Elite defensemen, Game 1 Talk, Steven Stamkos, Mattias Janmark (April 28)
- Ramblings: Devils Steal Draft Lottery, Pageau, Holtby (Apr 30)
- The Journey: Fastest-Rising Prospect Defencemen (April 2017)
- Capped: The Ones Paying for First-Round Exits
- Better Fantasy Own - Landeskog or Jenner (Battle of the Disappointments!)
- Frozen Pool Forensics: A Rookie Class for the Ages - Part 3