Fantasy Impact: The Maple Leafs have acquired defenseman Matt Lashoff from Tampa Bay for two prospects.
The Leafs Get: A big, mobile defenseman who hasn’t developed into the defenseman many had expected him to become. The Bruins took him with their first-round pick back in 2005, but he hasn’t cracked the NHL as a regular defenseman yet. In Toronto, he has to compete with eight other defensemen signed to one-way contracts, so the odds of making the starting six aren’t in his favour.
I really liked Lashoff as a deep sleeper pick in Tampa Bay because of how Guy Boucher utilizes his defensemen, and because of the immense talent that the Lightning possess up front. Toronto already has two very good offensive defensemen in Tomas Kaberle and Dion Phaneuf.
The Lightning Get: Cap relief, as the two prospects they acquired (forwards Alex Berry and Stefan Giliati) are both signed to two-way contracts. Lashoff will earn $550,000 this season, regardless of whether he plays in the NHL or the AHL. Neither prospect has any fantasy significance.
Fantasy Players Impacted: Lashoff, first and foremost. He obviously wasn’t in Tampa Bay’s long-term plans. He is currently the ninth defenseman on Toronto’s depth chart. The signing of Randy Jones a few days ago was the beginning of the end for Lashoff.
This helps Ty Wishart in his bid to make the Lightning out of camp. Tampa Bay’s top four is somewhat set with Mattias Ohlund, Pavel Kubina, Mike Lundin, and Victor Hedman. Brett Clark will play on the bottom pairing with one of Randy Jones, Wishart, or Matt Smaby in all likelihood.
Players this helps, in order:
1. Randy Jones
2. Ty Wishart
Players this hurts, in order:
- Ramblings: Why You Should Draft Defensemen Early (September 24)
- Ramblings: Strome Signs, Nichushkin Leaves, Changing Draft Strategy, and More (September 22)
- Ramblings: World Cup of Hockey Thoughts, Orlov Contract, Lupul Injury (September 23)
- Frozen Pool Forensics: Job Thieves on the Blue Line
- The Journey - Fastest Rising Prospects (September 2016)
- Ramblings: Canada/Russia, Fleury, Stone (Sept 25)
- Capped: Unconventional Contract Structures
- Geek of the Week: Jonathan Toews