The Maples Leafs have signed Jonas "The Monster" Gustavsson to a one-year deal worth $810,000 (plus a small bonus).
Fantasy Impact: Gustavsson will back up Vesa Toskala and provide excellent support if Toskala has another weak season like he had last year. Since Toskala will be an unrestricted free agent next summer, there is a solid possibility that he will be traded by the deadline. That will depend on how much Gustavsson "wows" the team with his play. Obviously, a Toskala trade would mean that the Monster will get in 40 starts or more.
A reasonable expection for Gustavsson next season would be somewhere in between Jonas Hiller's (Anaheim) last two seasons: between 10 and 23 wins; .920 SP; 2.25 GAA
A reasonable expectation for Toskala would be somewhere in between J.S. Giguere's last two seasons: between 19 and 35 wins.
- Ramblings: Craig Anderson, Nathan MacKinnon, Tyson Barrie - May 25
- Ramblings: Give Karlsson the Hart, but is he the No. 1 fantasy pick? (May 26)
- Top 100 Keeper League Goalies - May 2017
- Looking Back on 2016 Fearless Forecasts
- Ramblings: Scoring Trends; Power Plays; Joe Thornton; Claude Giroux - May 27
- Capped: Examining the Dallas Goaltending Situation
- The Journey: Fastest-Rising Prospect Forwards (May)
- Ramblings: Playoff Underperformers and What It Means for Next Season (May 28)